Photography by: SEBASTIAN KIM
I saw ABT Soloist Sarah Lane this past Valentine's Day dance with her husband, Luis Ribagorda (ABT corps member) at our town's symphony orchestra's Romeo and Juliet. She was exquisite - so graceful, beautiful and strong. The perfect ballerina and Juliet! So naturally, I was very excited to see that she plays Natalie Portman's body double in "Black Swan," which premiered December 1. I scoured the internet later to find out more about her and found that Dance Magazine had already written an article about her in 2007, when she was in the Corps de Ballet, which chronicles her life and dance history - Glowing Strong: Sarah Lane Radiates Star Power from ABT's Corps. She is a fierce competitor with incredible drive and discipline that is quite inspirational.
Sarah Lane Fast Facts:
- Born in San Fransisco, but moved to Memphis when she was a toddler
- Home schooled as a child
- Strong Christian faith
- Started tap and jazz at age 4, then enrolled at Memphis Classical Ballet
- Moved to Rochester, NY later and enrolled at the Draper Center for Dance Education where she received serious training for the competition circuit
- When she first auditioned for ABT, the studio company director informed her that she was too small (5'2")
- So she went on to audition for Boston Ballet it fell through because they misprinted her name - Catherine Lane
- Still determined to make it, she competed in the Youth American Grand Prix at age 17 in NY but danced her Paquita variation in silence after the sound system crashed. She finished to a standing ovation and won the bronze! Finally ABT noticed her the second time and invited her to take studio classes, then promptly offered her a Studio Company contract.
- Two months later, she won the Silver Medal in the Junior Division (the highest awarded in 2002) at the Jackson International Ballet Competition.
- Susan Jaffe, former ABT ballet star, has been a fan of Sarah's and has mentored her to help her become a company member. Scroll down towards the end of the article to see the wonderful advice she gave her.
- After 8 months in ABT's Studio Company, Sarah joined the Corps de Ballet. She has since been promoted to Soloist and is now in the "Black Swan!"
Sarah Lane with Principle Herman Cornejo